Friday, October 19, 2012

The Circle Line ~ Now & Then

Yesterday, was my first time on The Circle Line since I was 9 years old in 1963 when we steamed all the way up to Bear Mountain. I remember listening to Marvin Gaye singing about his "Proud and Joy" on my transistor radio in its tattered leather sleeve pressed to my ear to offset the wind and engine noise.

I have a few pictures from the 1963 trip up the Hudson. On the way back, the Circle Line captain must of had a load on because he rammed the Yonkers pier and knocked a chunk of it off. Almost lost my radio into the water when we struck the landing and I was on the side looking over.

The weather yesterday was spectacular, puffy swirling clouds dancing over a bright blue sky.  We ended up dead in the water when Obama's helicopter flew in over the bridges and landed at the Wall Street Heliport.  Police boats chased the motorcade up the FDR. A Fantabulous day.


October 24th, I'm bringing "Stoops to Nuts" home for a special show ~ my first Yorkville storytelling show @ Ryan's Daughter. It shivers, me timbers!

It happens on Wed, Oct 24th @ 7pm at Ryan's Daughter, 350 East 85th Street, (bet. 1st and 2nd Ave).

The Yorkville bound artists will knock you out: Daniel Guzman, Nicole Ferraro, Thomas Pryor, Francesca Rizzo ~ featuring music from our dreamy memories by Eric Vetter, Carlo Fortunato & Alex DeSuze & friends.

At the Ryan's show, I'll sell and sign "River to River: New York Scenes from a Bicycle," for $10. $3 off the list price just because I love Yorkville, neighborhood of my youth.


"Yorkville: Stoops to Nuts"
A Neighborhood Storytelling Show
@ Ryan's Daughter
350 East 85th Street (bet. 1st and 2nd Ave) 











Rory & Tommy 1963 Circle Line to Bear Mt.






















Tommy & Uncle Mommy 1963 Circle Line








No comments: