Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Storytelling at Ryan's Daughter Tomorrow Night

My grandmother's shopping cart from the late 1950s is still going strong.  There is no rubber left on the tires, the sound I hear when I wheel it is metal on concrete.  This is the same shopping cart that carried my bible every Friday, "The TV Guide." I'd study it like I was going to be questioned by the police and ready with every answer.

Cop: "Sunday 8 o'clock?"
Me: "Ed Sullivan, Sir."
Cop: Friday 10 o'clock?"
Me: "Alfred Hitchcock."

My mother's maiden name was Patricia Ryan, aka, Ryan's Daughter. Her father Patrick Leonard Ryan was a piece of work, and didn't like the name Patrick, so everyone called him, "Lennie," except us kids, he was Pop Dutchie to distinguish him from Pop Cuckoo two blocks away on York.  I had all four grandparents on York on my side of the avenue, so I could visit them when I was old enough to ask somebody to cross me.

Tomorrow night, is my first storytelling show ever in Yorkville and appropriately the event happens at Ryan's Daughter, upstairs @ 7pm, it's a free show, we have a wonderful line-up, and we will take you back, promise.


Patricia Ryan Pryor, Tommy & Pop Cuckoo

Helen Ryan, Mom, Dad, Pop Dutchie "Lennie" at Sparkle Lake

Mom busting Dad's chops




October 24th, I'm bringing "Stoops to Nuts" home for a special show ~ my first Yorkville storytelling show @ Ryan's Daughter. It shivers, me timbers!

It happens on Wed, Oct 24th @ 7pm at Ryan's Daughter, 350 East 85th Street, (bet. 1st and 2nd Ave).

The Yorkville bound artists will knock you out: Daniel Guzman, Nicole Ferraro, Thomas Pryor, Francesca Rizzo ~ featuring music from our dreamy memories by Eric Vetter, Carlo Fortunato & Alex DeSuze & friends.

At the Ryan's show, I'll sell and sign "River to River: New York Scenes from a Bicycle."
"Yorkville: Stoops to Nuts"
A Neighborhood Storytelling Show
@ Ryan's Daughter
350 East 85th Street (bet. 1st and 2nd Ave) 



















No comments: