Thursday, December 1, 2011

From Uncle Mommy's Cookbook: An Irish Sandwich

Tom & Uncle Mommy on Circle Line to Bear Mt. 1962


Just made an Irish sandwich: Iceberg Lettuce & lots of Hellman's Mayo on Wonder Bread. Uncle Mommy taught Rory & I how to survive when the fridge emptied before the Sloan's grocery run to 86th & York Avenue on Friday afternoons after school. New TV guide day, maybe including color pictures of Emma Peel, Elizabeth Montgomery or Mary Ann from Gilligan’s.










Murray Parker on n/e cor of 83rd St. & York Ave ~ 1966



Murray Parker’s grocery on 83rd & York filled in the food gaps during the week when Mom forced a two milk & a pack of Marlboro’s expedition. I’d be playing in the street and she’d throw money out Chickie Murphy’s apartment in the front of the building. One out of two times the coin laden money ball would whiff through my hands and smack me in the forehead. I'm a clutz.




Marvin Gaye was on my transistor radio.

No comments: