Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Sandy Becker Haunts "City Stories: Stoops to Nuts"



When I was eight years old nothing made me happier than hearing Bert Kaempfert’s That Happy Feeling coming out of our TV on East 83rd Street. That Happy Feeling signaled the start of the Sandy Becker Show.




Sandy Becker's talent and charm could cool my 103 fever, make my German measles stop itching and quiet my parents arguing.

I loved Chuck McCann, still do, but Sandy got way inside my head and I couldn’t wait to grow up and try and do all the things he did to cheer kids up. Sandy was a mentor and I wish I was able to tell him that. Luckily, I was able to tell Chuck who is alive and well in California.

I’ll bet Bruce Springsteen loved Sandy Becker, too, or he never would have worn that pith helmet on stage at the Garden in tribute to Sandy’s Hambone.(photo by Jeff Havas)

*************************************************

The next "City Stories: Stoops to Nuts" show is Tuesday, December 13th @ 6pm @ Cornelia Street Cafe.


Please come down to the Cafe for a special holiday show with gifted tellers and marvelous songsmiths: Barbara Aliprantis, Kelly Wallace Barnhill, Carl Kissin, Mary Lee Kortes, Thomas Pryor, Elizabeth Rowe & Amanda Thorpe.


Admission is $7 & that includes one free drink.


46894688

No comments: