Thursday, April 22, 2010

I Think That I Shall Never See


I attended a rally at Sheep Meadow in Central Park on the first Earth Day. Several of my LaSalle classmates gathered at Union Square. Here are a few pictures from that day from Pat Cullinan's collection.
.
My photos of Joyce Kilmer's plaque & tree just east of Sheep Meadow are below.
.






TREES

Joyce Kilmer (1886-1918)

      THINK that I shall never see
      A poem lovely as a tree.
      A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
      Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
      A tree that looks at God all day,
      And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
      A tree that may in Summer wear
      A nest of robins in her hair;
      Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
      Who intimately lives with rain.
      Poems are made by fools like me,
      But only God can make a tree.

No comments: