Saturday, April 4, 2009

I Never Had a Dog As a Kid

Robert Benchley - "A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down."
.
I never had a dog as a kid.
.
My brother, Rory, the human pretzel, could lie on his belly on the 517 East 83rd Street living room floor for five hours with one leg under him and another swung over his back. I'd look at him and my neck started to hurt. I couldn't touch my toes.
.
We'd play this game when we were by ourselves. I'd put him in a headlock and keep him there while we walked around Yorkville, purposely covering his eyes, then make him guess where we were. Even if he guessed right, I'd lie and keep going. Rory never blinked, nor asked me to let him up.
.
I never needed a dog.
.
****************************

NY Times City Section Show:

Monday, May 4th @ 17 Murray Street @7pm

Saara Dutton, Sloane Crosley, Merrill Black & I are celebrating the New York Times City Section. We'll read our tales that appeared in the City. Stories, the City editors help craft. It's a free show with free appetizers. Please come to 17 Murray Street to toast the best editorial team in New York @ May 4th @ 7pm.
.
.

No comments: