Friday, April 30, 2021

First Of May & Holy Communion 1962

Carl Schurz 1962 @Otto Nelson

Tomorrow, the First of May reminds me of my 1962 First Holy Communion suit. When you’re a seven year old pig-boy, Mom rarely gets an opportunity to dress you up and keep you dressed up in one piece. (At least through noon)

When Mom bought my blue outfit I didn’t know I’d have to wear it three horrifying times.

Besides the communion event, we wore our monkey suits for the Crowning of the May Queen in St. Stephen of Hungary’s Grotto on the side of the church. 
don't mess with them

Since the second grade class all had new suits and pretty white dresses, the nuns drafted us into the school-wide ceremonial crowning of the Statue of Mary. Some girl was made crowner and every one else in the class were her drones. Most of the Moms showed up for this non-prime time event simply because they couldn’t believe they got their kid to dress up again. 
Ryan girls 1964



My third appearance in the suit nearly killed me.

For an unexplainable reason, the nuns at St. Stephen’s school and certain mothers were compelled to put on a talent show every year, despite the fact there was no talent in the student body If you discount the Rheinwald Brothers' dueling accordions. They were good. 
talent show 1965


The show's producer, Mrs. Otis, took advantage of our recent Sunday's best purchase and forced the boys and girls to dance a Viennese waltz in our blue suits and white communion dresses. You got to be kidding. She insisted the boys wear white gloves. Make me vomit
Confirmation 1963 three of us happy with Dad

I begged Mom to stay home. I faked sick the day of the show triggering a swift kick in the ass on my way out the door.

Rory communion 1964 w/Mearns girls
 

Rory in talent show 1965

2 comments:

Al Hauser said...

Hi Tommy, didn’t you need the blue suit for confirmation also. Don’t remember having to go to a talent show. Nuns said I had no talent. Remember Thursday afternoon meetings in the auditorium, had to practice singing of hymns for Sunday mass. Usually got a smack on the head by some nun who told me not to sing.

Al said...

One addition to my previous comments. No talent show, but we had to sign on the stage in St. Stephen’s auditorium for the Mother’s Club. All of the songs were in Hungarian. Had no idea what we were singing. Maybe one or two of my classmates understood what we were signing. I had no idea. We had no choice, sing or incur the wrath of Sisters Letitia and Charlotte on Monday.