Friday, December 9, 2016

If I Fall

Mom let us both play on the 4th floor fire escape with a few toys when she couldn't take us in the house anymore. One time, when Rory was 5 and I was 7, he climbed over the rail to the outside of the fire escape and stretched his arms and legs all the way out into thin air, fifty feet above the concrete. I froze on the step where I was sitting and shrieked low, "aaaaaahhhh," didn't want Mom to hear, I whispered loud, "get back here!"

"If I fall, Mom will blame you," Rory said with a wicked smile.


Fear and shame ran through my head, instead of worrying about Rory smashing the ground, I was stuck on Mom's reaction.
Maybe this is why my nerves are shot.

I'm telling a story at Terri Mintz's Word The Storytelling Show on Dec 14 @ 8pm @ Sidewalk NYC

Tonight Friday, Dec 9th @ 7pm I'm performing at Eric Vetter's No Name & A BAG O' Chips: Winter Reading Edition at Otto's Shrunken Head, come on down!


Do you like old New York City photos and street life stories? Then check out my 1960s memoir,
"I Hate the Dallas Cowboys - tales of a scrappy New York boyhood."Available at Logos Book Store and online at Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

The book has 121 Amazon five star reviews out of 121 total reviews posted. We're pitching a perfect game. My old world echoes TV's "The Wonder Years" ~ just add taverns, subways and Checker cabs.

No comments: