Sunday, June 12, 2016

Hanging Out On The Stoop

Charlie on 511 E. 84th Street stoop
Hey Charlie!
Do Your Ears Hang Low?
Do They Wobble to and Fro?
Can You Tie Them in a Knot?
Can You Tie Them in a Bow?
Can You Throw Them Over Your Shoulder Like a Continental Soldier?


"Where's Poppa?" ~ Thomas Pryor's Stoops to Nuts Father's Day Show

Friday, June 17, 2016. @ 7-10pm upstairs at Ryan's Daughter

S2N artists: Colin Dempsey, Joe Dettmore, Nicole Ferraro, Tim McGillicuddy & Una McGillicuddy. 

Thomas Pryor's your host, it's a cuckoo crazy nuts FREE S2N event. Bring your Pa, Da and all your recollections of Poppa. I'll be doing Yorkville stories about Daddy O'Pryor from scenes in my upcoming solo play, "City Boy" (Feb 2017.) We work to preserve our neighborhood's character and texture through word and song and raise the alert on our diminishing street light and vanishing stoops.

Charlie on 511 E. 84th Street stoop

Charlie on 511 E. 84th Street stoop

Charlie on 511 E. 84th Street stoop

511 East 84th Street stoop here ~ my family almost bought this building in the early 1950s. My great grandparents lived in an apt on the first floor. Either my uncle or my father backed out, they were each going to take one of the floors. My father with my great-grandmother Rode in this photo in 1946.







If you like my work check out my memoir, "I Hate the Dallas Cowboys - tales of a scrappy New York boyhood." Available at Logos Book Store or online at Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

The book has 118 Amazon five star reviews out of 118 total reviews posted. We're pitching a perfect game. My old world echoes TV's "The Wonder Years" ~ just add taverns, subways and Checker cabs.


as a boy on 83rd Street, I'd walk around the corner to the 500 block of 84th Street and make believe I had my own bedroom in one of the beautiful townhouses on that block instead of the top of the bunk bed I split with Rory and half a toy chest in our broom closet sized bedroom.

In winter I complained it was hot, Rory complained it was cold, the heat from the standing steam pipe rose up in our tiny room with the useless air shaft window. Then I met the Freehills on EEA, heard about their Archie Bell & The Drells "Tighten Up" sleeping spaces. I stopped complaining.

No comments: