Thursday, March 31, 2016

Playing Catch With Dad

I miss playing catch with my father. One of life's near perfect moments.

This morning I saw a boy and his dad throwing the ball on The Drive between 81st Street & 82nd Street.


I owned four gloves in my life and still have the last of the four, a Jim "Catfish" Hunter model. Dad taught me to oil the glove and how to repair the laces with the large curved needle.

Breaking out the gloves in March is a Yorkville ritual that signaled the parks were ready for us. A tradition that goes back to the early part of the 1900s when Jimmy Cagney and Bill Cagney played ball with my great uncle, Joe "Cheech" Cuccia, on the Yorkville Nut Baseball Club. Their main rival was the John Jays as you can see in the photo here. Find Cagney, it's pretty easy. He has a smirk on his face.

NYPL The New York Public Library presents Yorkville author and photographer, Thomas Pryor, for an nostalgic hour of reading and storytelling at the 67th Street Branch.
Wednesday, April 6th @530pm to 630pm
FREE EVENT

April 6th, the 67th Street NYPL has invited me back to share a reading from my book, "I Hate the Dallas Cowboys ~ tales of a scrappy New York boyhood." I will also tell a couple of short stories about my Upper East Side experiences in the 1960s. Bring the kids, the tales are for all ages.








No comments: