Thursday, October 16, 2014

"Our Little Town, Yorkville" @ Barnes & Noble East 86 St ~ Tonight ~ Friday !




Tonight, Friday, October 17th @ 6pm at Barnes Noble, 150 East 86th Street, we're exploring "Our Little Town, Yorkville." Partnering with my Fourth Grade palsfrom St. Stephen of Hungary we are celebrating our neighborhood. The students start at 6pm, I follow the kids with my reading and book signing. Please come early to hear the children's fine essays. Through the eyes of a child memories of a place set in forever.
East

My family's lived on York Ave for 118 years. They left Sicily in 1896 and landed at 1403 Avenue A. I have the horseshoe that hung over their front door. My great grandparents went back and forth to Sicily separately a few times before staying put in 1903 with their three kids and a star boarder, their nephew, Charlie or Carlo. My Uncle Joe "Cheech" played baseball with 
Jimmy Cagney before Cagney made his acting debut at Keith's 86th Street Theatre.

My family has played, shopped, fought and gallivanted along 86th Street for a hundred years. The heart of Yorkville thumps under 86th Street near Lexington Avenue. I feel it under my feet each time I walk our boulevard and my memories rush back. 

Tomorrow Friday, October 17th @ 7pm, at the Upper Eastside Barnes & Noble, I'll read from my Yorkville memoir, "I Hate the Dallas Cowboys - tales of a scrappy New York boyhood." The book has 53 stories and it's loaded with photos of the neighborhood going back to 1906. Many images in this Facebook album are in my book. Several are tied directly to the stories you'll read. I promise to take you back to that world in sight and sound. Think TV's "The Wonder Years" just add taverns, subways and Checker cabs.

St. Stephen of Hungary School is my partner for this neighborhood celebration. Tomorrow at 6pm before I read, please come early and hear St. Stephen's Fourth Grade students read their Yorkville memories. 

If you like what you hear please buy my book. I've knocked myself out presenting hundreds of stories and pictures of old Yorkville on Facebook and other neighborhood digital meeting places including my blog, "Yorkville: Stoops to Nuts." If you enjoy my work, you will not be disappointed. Promise.








No comments: