Saturday, July 19, 2014

NYC's Bird: The Pigeon ~ Like it, Or Not

Before you complain about their crap, give the pigeon credit for dealing with our crap. Like noise and pollution. The pigeon didn’t crash the North American party. It didn’t get here on it’s own, an ocean is a long flight unless you’re made of metal and carry tons of fuel in your tank. Where would The New Yorker cartoonists be without the go to pigeon? Where would Oscar and Felix be without the Pigeon Sisters on The Odd Couple?

As long as I’m not sitting directly under one in the park while he’s reading a newspaper above me, I’m fine saluting New York City’s bird: the pigeon.

"My husband used to be the concierge but he's dead. Now I'm the concierge"

My book, "I Hate the Dallas Cowboys - tales of a scrappy New York boyhood," coming October 2014 (YBK). 

If you like TV's "The Wonder Years," add tenements, loitering and a subway - you'll slip seamlessly into my world.









No comments: