Monday, October 29, 2012

Batten the Hatches on York Avenue!

East River ~ 7am ~ Oct 29, 2012
Brian Ferry tells me "Love is the Drug,"as I sit writing here. Outside, it's picking up. Vertical rain and all that. Early this morning, I watched the swollen East River saturated in grey.  An hour ago, I walked up to 84th and York. Took a photo and thought about my family's 116 consecutive years on this avenue, formerly called Avenue A changed by real estate speculators after WWI to cash in on war hero Sergeant Alvin York.  Remember Gary Cooper in the film?

Here are a few pictures of a spot on York over the years.

Batten the hatches!

eastside of York Ave looking towards 84th Street

Thomas E. Pryor 1945


Robert Pryor, Allie Cobert & Mickey Fiorillo 1962


Tommy Pryor Xmas Day 1960

No comments: