Friday, August 10, 2012

Garland Jeffreys Kicks It Out @ Rodeo Bar @ Tonight @ 10pm


GJ by Thomas Pryor
Tonight, I’ll see Garland Jeffreys rocked the house with his full band at The Rodeo Bar on 27th Street and Third Avenue. The guy’s songwriting is an inspiration to me.

His unwavering sprit never fails me. Here’s one example.

In June 1992, I drove my brother, Rory, upstate to a program. Not for the first time. He and I tried hard to become closer as brothers, but we couldn’t make it work. I loved Rory but didn’t know him. At the same point, I was having my own personal problems. I came home to New York City miserable.

The next day, I read Garland Jeffreys was giving a free concert at Summerstage in Central Park. I felt low, I almost didn’t go. But that morning, June 20th was Rory’s birthday and he and I shared affection for Garland’s music and I had never seen Garland live. Early in the show Jeffreys started “The Answer,” from his new album at the time and the words went right through me heading towards Rory, giving me the shivers.


Can't play the victim,
Got to put an end,
To this self-fulling prophecy.
Give it up, and kick it out,
Lift yourself up just like a dancer.



Garland played for two hours. The cops were dancing by the third song. It was a gorgeous day and people whirling around sent the dust on the floor of the space into the air where it stayed for the whole show. I mailed Rory Garland’s new record on cassette the next day.

Tonight's show at Rodeo Bar starts around 10pm.


Coney Island Winter

GJ by Thomas Pryor

GJ plays Jersey by Thomas Pryor


by Amanda Thorpe

Garland at High Line @ Thomas Pryor




No comments: