Sunday, March 11, 2012

Is Ten Years A Long Time?


Robert Pryor's Merchant Marine ID 1951

Dad died ten years ago today. Ten years is a long time for some things, and a short time for others.

It was a hundred years ago, that he and I fought over hospitals, caretakers, hospices, taking care of Mom and my brother, Rory, paying bills, taking care of my grandmother, nursing homes, oncologists, medications, and other things that made us both miserable.

It was yesterday, He and I fought over Sinatra's best song, DiMaggio versus Mantle, calling the street game Ringalario versus Ringalevio, Bogart versus Cagney, how to make a hamburger patty, Wonder Bread versus Silvercup. It was yesterday, he took me to the park to play ball twice a week, taught me to throw a spiral, played me Begin the Beguine for the first time, lived and died rooting for the New York Giants, taught me the tight~loose thing when holding a bat for power and control, took me to Yankee Stadium 15 times a year, 5 Ranger games at old Garden, watched 2,000 movies together, cried together but hid it from each other.

Explained who Zeppo and Gummo were and the beauty of a tongue and groove shelf, told me about his three trips around the world in the Navy and Merchant Marines 500 times, made art together, taught me to respect women, told me every joke ever told and I don't remember one. 

Tom & Dad ~ 1962
Bit my ear while I was sitting on his lap in the passenger seat driving along the Palisades coming home from a lake. I told him to stop and he wouldn’t. I threw his favorite hat out the window and he didn't get mad at me. 

Is ten years a long time? 

Depends.

************************

Our next City Stories: Stoops to Nuts show is this Tuesday, March 13th @ 6pm at Cornelia Street CafĂ©. Our artists are Claudia ChopekJoe McGintyJohn NewellRick PatrickThomas Pryor, Rivka Widerman & Ward White. Giving away ten drinks. Getting my Irish up, it's my birthday week, bring your best game. $7 and saying "hoity toity," gets you in the door with a free drink.

Time Out Magazine  picked "Stoops to Nuts" as a darn good thing to do this week.  See link.

Joe McGinty


Claudia Chopek


Ward White





.

No comments: