Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Essence of St. Patrick's Day

Third Ave El 1900

The essence of St. Paddy’s to me has always been to celebrate our ancestors. Not just the Irish but anyone from elsewhere in the world who courageously or otherwise came to this country, worked hard, took care of what they had, and improved it for their children. 

How I best observe St. Patrick’s Day is walking around the city and renewing my love for New York.

Thinking of my Irish grandfather, Thomas Pryor, born on the 3rd floor of a walkup at 50th Street and Third Avenue in 1900. First four years of his life, dirty steam engines roared past his family’s front windows facing the Third Avenue El (the tracks were electrified in 1904). 

Imagining my Italian great-grandfather, Antonino Cuccia, making red wine in the cellar of 1403 York Avenue since the fruit stand at 1405 wasn’t enough to support the family of five. Nan told me he was embarrassed he couldn’t learn English so he always had a puss on his face.

As my family strolls through my head, the buildings I see, the points, the locations, the way the lights hit the brick, drive me giddy to distraction. I’m in awe. I walk around and consider my daughter at my age seeing many of these places years from now, maybe with her children and these buildings, these spots still delight, reminding her where we and all this comes from and she fondly recalls her ancestors and their work. 

Here are pictures from yesterday’s walkabout and three songs links in the photos captioned:

"Hail, Hail, Rock N' Roll," "Time Tangled Up," & "Waiting For The Man."
14th St & 7th Ave Fire Escape Party


Hail, Hail, Rock N' Roll!



Broadway on left, %th Ave on right ~ Bottom of Flatiron





St. George shuts up Big Mouth

1900

Hugh O'Neill Building




Time Tangled Up




Waiting For The Man


If only the city still had more corners such as this one






Old Hospital, Mental Ward, Military Prison & Pepsi Cola



looking towards Hoboken






Washington Street final blast of sunlight




Charles Street






Charles Street


Hudson St on left, 12th St on right





12th Street

1 comment:

Barbara said...

What a pleasure to walk around the city with you, Tom. I agree, it's a wonderful way to celebrate St. Patrick's Day.