Saturday, March 13, 2010

Could Be the Best Day of the Year


A long time ago, two things sometimes happened on the same day, instantly making that day the best day of the year ~ that would be daylight saving time, giving you one more hour to play in the park, and the park's water fountains being turned back on to quench your thirst. Can't happen anymore, it's too cold in New York to turn outdoor fountains back on... so, Happy Daylight Savings and Happy March birthdays to all below, and anybody I forgot.
.
love, left to right, Tonte, Bob, Alien Baby, Baby, Teddy & Tommy
.
Ellen ~ has two birthdays just like my grandmother. Ellen never told me why she has two, but I know it's not the same reason as my grandmother. Nan was delivered by a mid-wife on July 23, 1906 in her family's apartment at 1403 York Avenue. When the mid-wife filled out the Board of Health birth certificates at the end of the week, she used the same date, Friday, for all of them, so Nan had two birthdays, July 23rd & July 28th.
.
Aunt Mary ~ my grandmother's sister also born in 1403 York Avenue in 1899. She only has one birthday because her mid-wife filled out her birth certificates correctly.
.
Jimmy ~ got thrown out of his house at 12 by his mother for looking at her funny. When Jimmy visited Yorkville as a boy he wore a bow tie. I thought, he really liked the neighborhood.
.
Cris ~ a brilliant writer and editor, her office is down the block from the old location of Father Drumgoole's 10 story orphanage, City House, the country's largest in late 1800s.' It was at the north east corner of Lafayette Street & Great Jones Street.
.
Diana ~ she moved to California, but misses her view of the Hudson River terribly.

Christine ~ crochets pretty pictures and words, loves wine and food.


Anil ~ a solid friend & super duper project manager at the New York City Housing Authority.
.
Michael Toth ~ my Yorkville schoolmate who shares the same last name with the loony Hungarian guy, Lazlo Toth, that hammered Michelangelo's Pieta. My Toth and I got a hundred on our 4th grade final in Math, then we got beat up by the Nun, Sister Adrianne, for fighting during the award ceremony in front of the class.
.
Jordana ~ We Three Reading Series pal ~ claims she saw Peter Stuyvesant's ghost one night sitting on a parking meter in front of the Telephone Bar.
.
Me ~ spring, daylight savings time, soon Yankee Stadium opens, but I miss the old Stadium http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/24/nyregion/thecity/24thir.html?_r=1

Eddie ~ my 83rd Street friend, lived down the block.

Lauren ~ a beautiful person, met her yesterday morning in City Hall Park, instantly cheered me up.
.
Bobby ~ my cousin in Spring, Texas, a fine musician ,whose Dad, Tom, grew up on York Avenue.

Uncle Mommy ~ my dear ol' Mom, Erin Go Bragh! Grew up in East Harlem and later on York Avenue. 11 years gone and she's still torturing my father. I can hear them.
.
Dawn, "Go away, I'm no good for you" ~ my Elmhurst cous with the basketball smarts. Her Mom, Barbie Pins, grew up on York Avenue. Her Dad, Mickey, grew up on 84th Street.
.
Joanie Baloney ~ my funny fruit cake aunt & godmother and provider of bacon & mayo on Wonder bread at 321 East 85th Street. Another York Avenue mutt.
.
Laurene ~ old Yorkville chum, East End Avenue mutt.
.
Gabriella ~ Ms. Kantor was the object of my affection, who turned my complexion, from white to rosy red, in sixth and seventh grade at St. Stephen's of Hungary school on East 82nd Street.
.
Hildy ~ loved Philadelphia but made New York and West End Avenue her home for a million years. A city girl. A strong woman. We miss you!
.

No comments: