Sunday, December 6, 2009

December 19, 1981 ~ How Bout Those Boys?

.
Dad died seven years ago, but he and I get together every Sunday in the fall, and with luck our reunions continue until early winter.
.
Since people would think I'm nuts watching New York Giant games with my dead father, I usually watch them alone, with Dad.
.
We have many victories together, none as sweet as December 19, 1981 against the Anti-Christ Cowboys.
.
I was too young to enjoy the successes of the late 50s' and early 60s' Giants football club, but I was just the right age to suffer through the horrible Giant teams in the 60s' & 70s'.
.
The Giants needed to beat the Cowboys on the last day of the 1981 season to make the playoffs for the first time since 1963.
.
Dad drove to my apartment the Saturday before Christmas, we wore our blue best, and the Giants prevailed 13-10 on Joe "The Nose" Danelo's foot. No matter, they lost that year in the playoffs to the 49ers, they were back in the mix.
.
Over the years, Dad and I won two Super Bowls together, and his spirit haunted me all night, gleefully, after the Giants beat the Patriots two years ago.
.
Sweeping the Cowboys makes life brighter ~ Beating Dallas twice in a year ~ my personal World Series.
.
My love to Joe Buck and all the bad haircut Cowboy fans out there.
.
.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Tom, good read as usual. I hope our dads are in Heaven bargaining with God to bring another Super Bowl to NY.

Love Ya,
Vaughn

Thomas Pryor said...

thanks, vaughn, I'm sure they are... and both wish we had deeper talent this year, love you buddy, happy new year, tommy