Thursday, March 12, 2009

Wedding Day, September 1952, Silly Dad


After Father Edward O'Halloran, OFM, married Mom and Dad in St. Stephen's of Hungary church, it was a dry reception down the cellar of a Yorkville social club. Dad, on the bottom left, is being silly. I never saw Dad silly. He showed a lot of cards emotionally, but not the silly one. That's why I love this photograph.

He told jokes and enjoyed comedies, but he tended to take himself serious most of the time. He was vigilant over how others perceived him. His friend Allie said, Dad could hear someone give him the finger.

Mom told me Dad got silly with her sometimes. I was jealous and wanted him to do that with Rory and me. I'll bet he was funny and could make his friends laugh when he let it go. I wish I saw him loose. It never happened but he made up for it.
.
.

No comments: