Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Uncle Mommy's Birthday

Today, would be Mom's 79th birthday.

Patricia Helen Ryan missed Yorkville the moment she stepped out of it. We had relatives at 1582 & 1616 York Avenue; 222 & 321 East 85th Street, and 516 East 84th Street. She spent nearly as much time in the 86th Street shoe stores and yapping with her sisters on 85th Street as Dad spent in the local taverns and playing ball with Rory and me. Mom's feet always hurt. She was like Cinderella in reverse, her foot was always trying to find the perfect shoe. Mom never found the shoe but it never stopped another expedition.
.
.
I miss Uncle Mommy, she loved me good. I was her "Cow, Cow Boogie." I retain vague hope there's an afterlife, what a blast it'd be to play with a young, healthy Patty Pryor.



.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
pictures above:
.
Mom with Nan Ryan on north side of 86th Street between 2nd & 3rd Avenue @1949. See Hofbrau awning and Cushman's on the corner.
.
Barbara, Joannie & Mom, three Ryan sisters in November 1955, Joannie's bridal shower
.
Mom & me, Christmas 1954
.
.

No comments: