Sunday, March 29, 2009

Marty Brought Me Home









My favorite Marty Glickman memory was beating Dallas in 1970 at Yankee Stadium.
.
I tried to bribe my way into the Stadium at all the entrances with a $5 bill, but unfortunately, every usher and cop was honest that day. I jumped on the subway, got home to 86th St stop and ran to grandmother's on York and listened to the last three quarters with Marty & Al Derogatis in the front room running over the beds with my grandmother chasing me, trying to whack me and at the same time cheering along with me. Nan hated the Cowboys. When the Giants beat the Anti-christ 23-20, she went bananas, and Nan got nuts over nothing. This was the first time I ever saw her go cuckoo. Never saw it again.
.
Beating Landry & Dallas at Yankee Stadium was the Giants 1970 Super Bowl. Over the radio, Marty brought you into the crowd and never missed a detail. I saw the facade, the bullpens, the mezzanine, the dugouts, the courthouse. I smelled the grass and felt the cold dirt on my shins and elbows. Marty took me home.
.
.

No comments: