Saturday, February 21, 2009

Does the Bride Come With Potaaaaa-toes?


Turning 18, graduating from LaSalle Academy, it was time to move along. I enrolled in Hunter College and started ordering drinks other than Coke at Loftus Tavern.
.
Loftus had a new bartender, Murt, a fine fellow. Problem was, his brogue was a wee thick and we had trouble communicating other than when he got mad and told me to pick my window cause I was going through it.
.
I knew spending time with Murt was a valuable life lesson. Dad been telling me bartender stories all my life, and I could see the impact they had on him. I wasn't going to pass up this opportunity.
.
Hunter just invested a lot of money in a new language lab. I took advantage. I borrowed a copy of their "Irish 101" lesson. It changed my life. Murt and I developed a beautiful friendship. He'd go off on a rant and I'd stay right with him. Murt was touched by my effort to learn. My buybacks were plentiful.
.
Fortunately, I found a copy of the lesson on youtube. It's the link below.
.
.
Erin Go Bragh, Tommy
.
.

No comments: