Monday, January 19, 2009

My Schadenfreude Soars... Go Cards!




.
The Cards burned the Eagles.
.
Bye, Bye, Philly.
.
Kurt Warner, take the Cardinal mantle from good ol' Charley Johnson.
.
In 1966, the Giants had a fan club, and Rory and I were standing members. Membership included free admission to New York Giant Saturday football practices at Yankee Stadium before the seven home games. We dragged Dad up to the Stadium and sat in the bleachers. - (picture above ~ that's me, watching the action, & Rory, facing the camera) - the players came right up to you and occasionally an errant punt or a bad throw would end up in the stands, and you got the opportunity to throw it back on the field. I died for that.
.
The friendliest Giant players were Gary Wood, Spider Lockhart and Ernie Koy. But my favorite player to talk to was Charley Johnson, #12, St. Louis Cardinals, QB. He'd come right out to the monuments and play catch with the fans. I knew he went to New Mexico State, and when I yelled "I Love New Mexico!" He threw the ball right at me, and I caught it. The "Duke" in my hands was huge, I threw it back off the laces near the bottom of the ball and threaded a decent spiral. Johnson smiled and gave me a thumbs up.
.
I could never root for Charley Johnson against the Giants, but I didn't want him to get hurt and I rooted for him crazy any time he played the Cowboys, Eagles or Redskins.
.
I hated Bobby McDonald when I was seven years old. Seeing the Cards beat the Eagles yesterday brought back fond memories of watching the Giants clip the Eagles at Franklin Field.

No comments: