Saturday, July 4, 2015

The Sidewalks of New York

As a kid, I craved owning one item my grandmother kept in a beer glass inside her China closet. An Al Smith for President 1928 pencil with Governor Al's head on top. I liked Al, he was an altar boy at St. James Church on Madison and James Street.

Nan had coins, campaign buttons, lots of stuff, but I loved that pencil best.

My grandmother an Italian American Catholic born Anna Cuccia at 1403 Avenue A in 1906, assimilated swiftly into the Irish controlled Manhattan Democratic party. She worked hard for the ticket, her word was gold and 1928 was the first time she campaigned for a presidential candidate. She later served as Yorkville's District Leader out of the Cherokee Club a double-wide three story brownstone at 334 East 79th Street. 

One of Nan's favorite tunes was Al Smith's campaign song, "The Sidewalks of New York."

I keep the pencil safe and sound in Nan's China closet. Happy Fourth of July.

If you enjoy my stories please  check out my memoir, "I Hate the Dallas Cowboys - tales of a scrappy New York boyhood." Available at Logos Book Store or online at Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

The book has 108 Amazon five star reviews out of 108 total reviews posted. We're pitching a perfect game. My old world echoes TV's "The Wonder Years" ~ just add taverns, subways and Checker cabs. You can also purchase my photography portfolio, "River to River - New York Scenes From a Bicycle" on Amazon.





Cherokee Club 334 E. 79 St. @ 1962

Ann Pryor speaking at 511 East 84 St. @ 1942


Flag Dedication Ceremony August 1942 on the 500 block of East 84 St
Cuccia family on s/w corner of Ave. A & 75 St. @ June 1906

Flag Dedication Ceremony August 1942 on the 500 block of East 84 St






No comments: