Sunday, December 9, 2012

The Losers Lounge - "Best Bang for a Buck" in NYC

The Losers Lounge Stevie Wonder tribute was amazing. My camera is fickle around certain stage light patterns at Joe's Pub. My apologies to artists not appearing here or in album.

Losers Lounge shows are the number one "bang for your buck" in NYC for live music entertainment. I've followed the shows from West Beth, The Fez Under The Time Cafe, CBGB's, Lincoln Center, Prospect Park, and Joe's Pub. 14 years later, I still leave each performance with a shit ass grin on my face. Losers shows are a primary reason I began and continue to write. My notes and doodles on their programs began outlines for several of my published stories.  

Lucky for me, most Loser artists are younger than I am.  That gives me hope they will continue to perform until I kick the bucket.

I see my last Losers Lounge show down the road... 

The beautiful KB directs me gently to my seat, leans in to my good ear and says, "Tommy enjoy the show." As the band takes the stage, Joe creeps to the keyboards with a snake wrapped around his neck.  David Terhune steps up to the mike, the warm up music stops, after a pause, David sings, "The telephone is ringing, (boom, boom, boom, boom) you got me on the run," "Under My Wheels" opens the Alice Cooper tribute.  Nick Danger makes love to the ladies in the front row swaying to "Only Women Bleed." Seltzer Wilder whispers and bellows "The Ballad of David Fry," convincing the crowd he's late back to the asylum. Joe McGinty closes the evening with a horn- laden "Big Apple Dreamin'." As the good nights circle the warm room, the # 6 train rattles by beneath my feet.  I turn and look out the window. Heavy snow is falling on Lafayette Street. I sip my drink and slip away forever with a shit ass grin on my face.

One of my favorite Stevie Wonder covers: Bill Cosby took the "Uptight" melody, changed the lyrics and turned it into "Little Ole Man," his 45 single in 1967. At 13, I thought this was so clever. Still do.

Here are photos from the show and a link to more photos at my public Facebook album.


"City Stories Stoops to Nuts" storytelling show @ Cornelia Street Cafe ~ this Tuesday @ December  11th @ 6pm. Our artists: Barbara Aliprantis, Nicole Ferraro, Amanda Thorpe & Adam Wade. Our special guest, James Hawkins, will tell a fine seasonal yarn then shoot back home to study for his semester finals at Power Memorial. Admission is $8, that includes one free drink.






























No comments: