Saturday, November 5, 2011

Yes, The River Knows

My family has lived near the East River in Yorkville since 1896.  I own the 115 year old horse shoe my great grandparents, Antonino and Giovanna Cuccia, placed over their apartment’s front door for good luck at 1403 York Avenue, one house south of the corner of 75th Street. They operated a fruit stand on the corner (see pix below from June 1906) and Antonino made red wine in his building's basement to help support five of them.
I dream the East River and see the past when I walk along it, strolling south or north.
Yesterday, I saw a tug boat with a happy face headed towards the 59th Street Bridge, I waved to the river man. I discovered a chocolate Bundt cake water fountain, the Chrysler Building saying good night to the United Nations and Tudor City, and the Long Island City Skyline which is starting to sprout and will lose its knickers and earn a pair of grown up pants with a few more skyscrapers.
Yes, The River Knows.
**************************

The next City Stories: Stoops to Nuts show is Tuesday, November 15th @ 6pm @ Cornelia Street Café.  

November’s storytellers & songsmiths: Cris Beam, Michele Carlo, Taffy Jaffe, Thomas Pryor, Lianne Smith & David Terhune.  Large family gatherings will be discussed. The $7 cover includes a free drink.  A swell deal, please join us! 














2 comments:

A Student and a Servant said...

love your pics and stories.

Thomas Pryor said...

thank you, Shibu, I hope you and your family are well, Happy Thanksgiving.