Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Confronting Pain On 18th Street

In August 2003, I was walking myself to my second total hip replacement at Joint Diseases on 17th Street & Second Avenue. Not sure that was wise. I circled Stuyvesant Square and paced up and down 18th Street before I got the guts to walk into the hospital.
It was my fourth general anesthesia I should have been OK, but I wasn’t. I thought it was a great idea to remember everything that went wrong with my last hip replacement in 2002 ~ a 19 day stay in the same place (got a blood clot).  In doing so, I not only remembered the little tricks I thought might improve this recuperation, I also remembered every crappy painful thing that I had no control over and the ride on the gurney was only hours away.  I was not feeling good about my ass being carved open and my leg sawed in two.
The only things that cheered me up that morning were these buildings on 18th Street.  I focused on them and made myself a promise I’d get through it all quick, so I could come back and enjoy these 1852 homes in all kinds of light.
On the same block this year, I spied these creatures crawling along a building. They made me think of the Sneaker Pimps.








No comments: