Saturday, September 10, 2011

Alchemy Hour With Garland Jeffreys


Alchemy hour is the magical time of the day when the ocean waves swell perfectly for surfing.

3504

Yesterday, I had two alchemy hours. Early evening, I visited Alchemy Hour, a beach inspired boutique located at 101 Baker Street in Maplewood, New Jersey. My friend, Janean Harvey, practically grew up on the shore. Alchemy Hour merges her eclectic artistic skills with her love for cozy and vintage clothing. Janean collaborating with her equally talented mom, Helen, has created a coastal cool space. The store is brilliant and if you’re in or near Maplewood, hang ten!

Skateaway.

3497

After touring the store, I headed to Garland Jeffreys benefit for the The Community Food Bank of New Jersey in South Orange. My second alchemy hour. Garland with his long time friend and musical partner, the magnificent Alan Freedman on guitar, sang, played, laughed and told stories for a long spell. Listening to one of my musical heroes perform his catalogue in this intimate setting knocked me out. We were close enough to play catch.

Garland’s on a roll. He has a hit single, “Coney Island Winter,” and a brand new album, “The King of In Between,” that’s received universal rave reviews including a knock out appraisal from the The New Yorker.

3499

“Watch the skies!” Garland is coming to your town.

Yesterday, I hit two home runs. I visited a talented young lady’s art/business space and soaked up the passion and love she’s devoted to her new store. Afterwards, a wise man who’s travelled many roads picked up a guitar and entranced a crowd. Every time I see Garland perform I leave wonderfully tired with a shit-ass grin on my face.

Hi Folks, the next City Stories: Stoops to Nuts storytelling show at Cornelia Street Cafe this Tues @ Sept 13th @ 6pm.
Our artists: Leslie Goshko, Jim Hawkins, Bernie Libster, Jessie Murphy, Thomas Pryor & Debby Schwartz.
Admission: $ 7 including one free drink, a good deal and you'll leave with a smile.
Hope to see you there! be well, Tommy

3503

3502

3501

3500

No comments: