Sunday, November 22, 2015

Stoops to Nuts: The Beatles White Album Show @ Ryan's 11.21.15

A fine Saturday night at Ryans Daughter with good friends, great music and storytelling, that made the audience laugh and connect with each artist. Thank you, Adam Wade, Supersmall, Amanda Thorpe, Walter Michael DeForestColin Dempsey, Daniela Schiller, Nicole Ferraro & Sivu for bringing your best. Walter, you made us welcome as you always do and spoke from the heart, well done, my friend. We all had a wonderful time thanks to you. A thousand hugs to a fine audience that stayed engaged with each performer and cheered us on. I know many of you travelled a great distance to be there last night, I am grateful. Joe Dettmore, we deeply missed you last night and hope you can be in our next show this coming winter.

Here are more photos from last night.

Thank you, Jim, Mick and the rest of the Ryans Daughter gang for welcoming us to your home.

Our next Stoops to Nuts show at Ryan's will be in February. When we arrange the date, I'll let you know and if you like, check out my blog below.

Over the next year, I'm working on a one man show called, "City Boy." It's about street life in Yorkville over the past century. A lost world I will re-animate through story, photos, love letters, music and more. "City Boy" title is dedicated to Herman Wouk's wonderful book about Herbie Bookbinder's Bronx world in the 1920s.

My story starts on Avenue A in 1896 and ends on York Avenue in 1972. The Second Avenue subway's triggered a powerful gentrification that will wipe out most of the Yorkville walk-up tenements on Second Avenue, First Avenue and York Avenue. Plus that one row of tenements left on East End Avenue.

Street light in the morning and late afternoon will be minimal inside the canyon of shadows formed by the new tall buildings. It's already started. Before it goes further, I want to share the emotional memories of the Yorkville I grew up in, share the older memories I learned through the storytellers in my family. It's essential I know where I came from. This place, this warren, formed who I am. I still see Yorkville as it was, it's a double feature that plays in my head and I will share it all with you.

Nicole Ferraro
Adam Wade
Sivu

Daniela Schiller

Colin Dempsey


Amanda Thrope



Walter & Tommy

Joe Dettmore

art by Joe Dettmore


Do you like old New York City photos and street life stories? Then check out my 1960s memoir,"I Hate the Dallas Cowboys - tales of a scrappy New York boyhood."Available at Logos Book Store and online at Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

The book has 113 Amazon five star reviews out of 113 total reviews posted. We're pitching a perfect game. My old world echoes TV's "The Wonder Years" ~ just add taverns, subways and Checker cabs.



No comments: