Friday, July 17, 2015

Brooklyn, Summer 1912

Williamsburg 1912
Serene was a word you could put to Brooklyn, New York. Especially in the summer of 1912. 

Betty Smith's opening line, "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn."

Two years ago, I went to Williamsburg for a friend's storytelling event. Reaching the top of the Bedford Avenue subway exit I saw a row of ancient three story tenements and thought about Francie Nolan in 1912 walking to the library. Despite the changes in the neighborhood's character, if you look carefully, there are remnants of the past that remind you of people, places and things that came before.

If you enjoy my stories please  check out my memoir, "I Hate the Dallas Cowboys - tales of a scrappy New York boyhood." Available at Logos Book Store or online at Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

The book has 109 Amazon five star reviews out of 109 total reviews posted. We're pitching a perfect game. My old world echoes TV's "The Wonder Years" ~ just add taverns, subways and Checker cabs.  

You can also purchase my photography portfolio, "River to River - New York Scenes From a Bicycle" on Amazon.











Francie's walk in 1912 Williamsburg

"Mom, Where's Dad?"
Kaiser Wilhelm,  Williamsburg grocery clerk


Kaiser Wilhelm



No comments: