Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Swimming to Stoops to Nuts & Other Travel Options

It's raining, its pouring, the old man is...  heading to "City Stories: Stoops to Nuts" tonight, Dec 9th @ 6pm @ Cornelia Street Cafe. A merge of storytelling and narrative song ~ a love letter to street life, the neighborhood and the characters in it. Our artists: Muneesh Jain; Margarita Pracatan; Elizabeth Rowe and  Jeff Rose.

$ 8 admission includes a free drink. I'm your host and I'm telling one from my new book,  "I Hate the Dallas Cowboys - tales of a scrappy New York boyhood." 

**************************

I'm at my window, the driving rain is doing its best to not hit the sidewalk, its swirling around, going mostly sideways until it finds an unprotected dressed so wrong person to smack in the face. The rain plans to stick around for a few days so I'm trying to figure out a way to get some people to "Stoops to Nut"s tonight. 

I've consulted Rory. He suggested I double check with Popeye for an updated Colorform weather report. I did.  Popeye says wear a Mac, a Morton Fisherman storm hat and Yellow matching water proof boots (disclaimer: my Colorform set when I was young had boots, updated set shown here fired the boots).

I'm thinking of friends that live within a five block radius of Cornelia Street Cafe. I'm calling in all chits. Also locating friends that swam varsity or sail. When I head down later, I'll pass through Central Park and pick up a few turtles, ducks and geese.

This is the kind of weather you pray for when that movie you've been waiting to see on the Turner cable channel is on tonight at 6pm, so you can say to your friend, "I'm so sorry, I missed your show. I have no rain gear and my lumbago's been acting up."

Or... you could look at it as a challenge, you know... kind of like hitting every puddle on the way home from school, what's your mother gonna say?

"Why didn't you dodge the rain?"

Below, today's weather report in photos.






















No comments: