Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Ground Control to Major Tom










When my daughter turned five, we threw her a party and invited half of her kindergarten class. The theme was space. I spray-painted fifteen five-gallon plastic cans silver and cut out a face hole in each one. I bought a ton of colorful buttons, stars and moons and the kids glued the buttons to their space helmets. When they put their helmets back on they had a hard time keeping the view hole forward and it turned into a demolition derby when they started dancing and banging into each other.

The four-hour party stretched to five, because everyone danced to the four hundred 45 singles I brought down to the basement along with my turntable and stereo system. Motown, British Invasion, Surf City, I Told the Witch Doctor, Monster Mash, and every 45 single novelty hit going back to 1958. The parents loved it, the kids went crazy, and I was in heaven.

I made fun things for my daughter and her friends; I played the music I love for five hours straight and danced with everybody. It was bliss.

Last night, at the “City Stories: Stoops to Nuts” storytelling show at Cornelia Street CafĂ©, similar feelings rushed through me. I invite great tellers and songsmiths to come perform. Artists, I admire for their talent and the power to engage me totally in their work. With the audience, I get to sit, listen, enjoy and participate in the show. I love my 45s, and I thoroughly enjoy curating this event.

Thank you, Leslie Goshko, Jim Hawkins, Bernie Libster, Jessie Murphyand Debby Schwartz for a great show, I deeply admire your talent and hope you came back next year.

As always, thank you Steve and Tiffany for making us welcome and keeping the customer satisfied. Welcome back, Tiffany!

No comments: