Thursday, June 17, 2010

Sunset on Great Jones Street


Tuesday night, I met two old friends, Anna & Chris at Chinatown, a restaurant at the corner of Lafayette Street and Great Jones Street for dinner. The spot formerly was the Time Cafe.


We sat outside and enjoyed the view. There's a parking lot across the street, and in the rear of the lot an old chapel abuts the property on the north side. You can see the outline of stain glass windows on each side of the building. This chapel was part of City House, one of the largest orphanages in the world. My grandfather, Thomas E. Pryor, spent time in City House between 1909 and 1916. He also lived in Mount Loretto a working farm orphanage in Staten Island on the Raritan Bay until he was emancipated.
Sitting there, I thought of my grandfather in the orphanage across the street 100 years ago. That close to his lonely place with my old friends connected me to him. I sent my warmth towards his spirit.

Here is a link to "Lonelyville," by Garland Jeffreys off his terrific 1992 album, "Don't Call Me Buckwheat."
























































































No comments: