Monday, May 3, 2010

The Chairman of the Board is Back ~ Ford Starts Friday Night at Fenway

The Chairman of the Board, Edward Charles "Whitey" Ford will start for the Yankees Friday night at Fenway in a ball park he despised. "I hate the place, it haunts me. Time to put that ghost to rest."
.

81 years old, Ford said his decision was based on two factors: One: Brett Favre. Ford said, "The guy's Lazarus doing squat thrusts. So why not me?" Ford elaborated on the second reason: "I grocery shop with the wife and when we come home she goes to the fridge and pantry and I throw items to her. I never had much of a fastball, but I started noticing a nasty screw movement on the yogurt cups and juice packs, I like those little straws, and the oranges and pears were dropping six inches right before they got to the plate. I still have the curve and slider. We buy these cheese balls with nuts, I love them, and they're about the same size as the major league ball ~ only thing missing is Joe Cronin's signature. The cheese balls move."

Ford, who spent most of his career outside a starting rotation thanks to Casey Stengel's selective use of #16," said, "I'm prepared to start, do middle work or mop up. Whatever Joe wants."

Joe Girardi, Yankee manager, added, "I'm excited "Slick's" here, and unlike Favre, Whitey never wavered. Vazquez is not right out there, and it's time for a change. I'm sure Mickey and Billy are looking down and laughing their heads off ~ "The Chairman of the Board" is on the mound."

Ford won 236 games for New York (career 236-106), still a franchise record. Among pitchers with at least 300 career decisions, Ford ranks first with a winning percentage of .690, the all-time highest percentage in modern baseball history.

A reporter approached Brett Favre walking on his property. Brett was carrying a skull, and mumbling to himself. Favre made no comment on Ford.


Below, courtesy of The New York York Times ~ photo by Teddy Ryan

Favre Comes in From Yard to Say He’s Still Thinking
By JUDY BATTISTA and DAVE CALDWELL

Brett Favre said Friday that he might need minor surgery to relieve pain in his left ankle. The pain is one of the factors he is considering in what has become an annual N.F.L. rite of spring: waiting for Favre to decide whether he will play another season or retire.

Favre posted a statement about the injury on his Web site several hours after ESPN reported that he was deliberating whether to have the surgery or retire.


No comments: