Monday, June 8, 2009

The Clay Cole Show




Mom's got that crazy hair dryer going that comes out of a little hard plastic suitcase. It's larger than a portable typewriter, but smaller than a day tripper. Regardless, it looks like a heart lung machine to me.

Dad's loiters with a scotch as Mom gets ready.

I want them gone. Cindy, my babysitter, is the prettiest girl in St. Stephen's eighth grade and for a whole night she's mine and Rory's.

As Mom & Dad walk out the door the Clay Cole Show comes on Channel 11. He's cool, he's handsome as James Bond, and everybody in music comes and sings on his show. I'm 8 yrs old. I'm in heaven.

I want him,
I need him.
And someday, someway...whoooa...I'll meet him.
He'll be kind of shy.
And real good looking too.
And I'll be certain, he's my guy,
By the things he'll like to do.
Like walking in the rain,
And wishing on the stars up above,
And being so in love.
.
.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved this essay about life in the 50s/60s in Yorkville on the Upper East Side. I lived there, on East 78th Street between York Ave and the River in the late 50s while I was on-the-air at Channel 13, and my summertime television broadcasts at Palisades Amusement Park. What sweet memories if the once-Germantown section. I have posted Tom's memories on my website
Clay Cole

Thomas Pryor said...

Dear Clay, thank you so much, your show was my Saturday highlight, hope you are well, Tommy