Saturday, September 14, 2019

Two Tickets To Paradise

Eddie Money will always remind me of my best times in my twenties. In the late 1970s a New York city boy rocking hard lit up the radio. 
I played rugby at St. John's in Queens. We rocked hard. One thing we had in common, Eddie Money. Two brothers on our team, Ray & Kenny were in a terrific band called "Rocks." They were good at picking up new numbers for their sets and Eddie's music even got the terrible dancers (like me) up where ever we were. 

You know couples have a wedding song and carry it for life.  Individuals can have one too. Takes them directly to fond memories of the best years.  "Two Tickets To  Paradise" does that to me. Wherever I am when I hear it my inclination to move starts. "So Good To Be In Love Again" is right behind two tix for a trip back to East Quoque rugby houses, Mickey Mantle diner, Citgo gas station, OBI, crashing Old Blue parties, The Pub, any of many apartments in the Kew Gardens rugby ghetto. Summer rugby on Thursday nights on Randall's Island, Grundy's and a dozen other places to hear the band play each weekend.  

The only time I saw Eddie Money live was 1979 in Central Park at the Doctor Pepper Festival. That night involved rugby related business. I worked with a guy who played for the Long Island rugby club. He worked at the show as a bouncer at a side gate. The moment people were allowed in me and any body with me would slide five dollars to Tony when we shook hands, run inside and always get a third row seat behind the first two rows for press and big shots.  It gets better. Opening act for Money, The Kinks. This pleased me.

Eddie Money, your voice always take me to a double feature in my head.

Rest in peace, Sir.



If you enjoy my work, check out my memoir, "I Hate the Dallas Cowboys - tales of a scrappy New York boyhood." It's available at Logos Bookstore, 1575 York Avenue, or buy it online at AmazonBarnes and Noble or other booksellers. The book has 130 five star reviews out of 130 total reviews on Amazon. If you do read it, please leave a few honest words about the book on Amazon and B&N. 







No comments: