Tuesday, January 22, 2013

An Historical Record in Photos & Motion

Carl Schurz Park 1961 @ 86th St entrance
I'm back, and thinking about October 1961, I'm at the 86th Street entrance to Carl Schurz Park with my first bike. Dad takes my picture with the sun in my eyes. My love for photography started that year. Dad and I rode Manhattan Island weekend in, weekend out.  Here are photos from these trips.

Sometimes, Dad would take Rory along in a seat behind his seat on his three speed Raleigh. Usually, it was just Dad, me and his Yaschica 44 camera. Sometimes, Dad would finish the trip by taking a photo of Mom when we came back like you see here.
Mom is on the northeast corner of 83rd Street and York Avenue. The camera is facing East End Avenue. If you show me a black and white photo from my Dad's collection I could probably tell you what we ate for lunch and what was coming for dinner. These rides, these days, are locked away in my memory vault.
Rory resting, me cleaning Dad's bike @ 1961


My love for cycling, New York City and photos are alive and well. Cornelia Street Cafe is mounting my first. photography exhibit, "New York Scenes from a Bicycle." It opens February 5th and runs through March 31, 2013.  All my Stoops to Nuts friends are invited to the opening reception on February 5th @ 5:30pm.  

Hope you can make it.

My book of photography, "River to River: New York Scenes from a Bicycle," is available at Amazon @ $12.95.



Xmas Day 1960 my first day with first two wheeler @ 1582 York Ave.


Mom on n/e cor of 83rd St & York @1966


Add caption

No comments: