Monday, December 10, 2012

The Pipes of Christmas ~ A Link to My Past


Finding new experiences that merge the past with the present is a passion of mine. Exploring Yorkville, my neighborhood on the Upper Eastside, I burrow through my warren, digging in the dirt for signs of bygone places that don’t exist exist anymore or hide from plain sight. When I am lucky, the old reveals itself to me and I get an opportunity to satisfy my deep curiosity by rebuilding the memory, working it through and reinterpreting it, hopefully connecting the then with the now.

This coming Saturday, December 15th “The Pipes of Christmas” will perform twice at the Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church (721 Madison Avenue) at 2pm and 7pm. 

The Celtic holiday concert (celebrating its 14th year) includes piping and drumming, harp and fiddle, and organ and brass and features an incredible soloist from the Outer Hebrides of Scotland and a lovely cellist who they stole away from Broadway's "Elf." “The Pipes of Christmas” will premiere two new compositions this year: "Balmoral Snow" to mark the Queen's Diamond Jubilee and "Sea of Tranquility" marking the passing of (Scottish-American) astronaut Neil Armstrong. Both works are by Scottish composers. 

I spoke with Robert Currie, Executive Producer for the show and the President of the Clan Currie Society. "We are very proud that "The Pipes of Christmas" concert has become a holiday tradition for many families on the Upper Eastside and that the audience continues to grow. That's the purpose of two shows, to make sure everyone who wishes to go can buy a ticket and see 23 outstanding artists perform in this classic Manhattan church built in 1901." Robert enlightened me on the history of the Clan Currie Society, " we are an American-based, international, non-profit cultural and educational organization and the preeminent Scottish-American cultural society engaged in preserving and promoting highland heritage. The Society has more than 3,000 members worldwide and was originally formed in Glasgow, Scotland in 1959 to further the knowledge and appreciation of the MacMhuirich (pronounced MacVurich) bardic dynasty.  Today, the organization is a respected producer of outstanding programs and events to honor Scotland’s rich culture and ancestry."

Why this show and place interests me:  My grandfather, John Rode, received his first communion in Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church in 1923.  He married my grandmother, Anne Pryor, in this church in 1946.  I have never entered the building, but this Saturday I will. My grandfather told me many stories about how the church supported a wide range of children activities in the early 1900s and gave him a second home.  My grandmother raved about the beauty of the sanctuary and how lovely it looked in 1946 sitting on its quiet Madison Avenue corner. Tying this to the fact, that Clan Currie's foundation goes back to the ancient bards in Scotland makes this all the more sweet to me being I am a storyteller.  I hope to see you there this coming Saturday.


"The Pipes of Christmas"
 Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church 
(721 Madison Avenue, northeast corner of 73rd Street) 
Saturday, December 15th at 2pm and 7pm.

Complete ticket information can be found here and at “The Pipes of Christmas” website.

*****************************



"City Stories Stoops to Nuts" 
storytelling show @ Cornelia Street Cafe ~ tomorrow, Tuesday @ December  11th @ 6pm. Our artists: Barbara Aliprantis, Nicole Ferraro, Amanda ThorpeAdam Wade. Our special guest, James Hawkins, will tell a fine seasonal yarn then shoot back home to study for his semester finals at Power Memorial. Admission is $8, that includes one free drink.




No comments: