Friday, February 24, 2012

There Is a Rose in Spanish Harlem

Ryan family at breakfast on East 104th St @ 1941

Though my family’s been on York Avenue since 1896, my mother’s roots started in East Harlem.  She was born on 118th Street and 2nd Avenue in 1930. Her family left there for the St. Lucy’s parish on 104th Street between 1st & 2nd Avenue. Pictured here is a photo of Mom’s family in their apartment right before they moved into East River Houses in 1941. This photo is in the public housing archive at LaGuardia College. The photo was supposed to be the then photo in a now and then series the New York City Housing Authority was doing at the time to promote the quality of the new apartments their low income residents were moving into to. My grandfather was born at 239 E 113th Street, oldest of ten children, and my grandmother was born on 112th Street & Fifth Avenue in a brownstone. As a little girl her job was polishing the banisters on Saturday morning.

Patty, 10, Lenny,13, Tommy's Mom & Uncle


Last week I wrote about my walk through West Harlem on a wicked cold morning last month. That Friday, when I left the Mount Morris area I walked over to Lexington Avenue and made the rest of my way south towards Yorkville through the center of East Harlem.

 By the end of the walk I couldn't feel the tips of my fingers that worked the camera. It was worth it. Harlem, East & West are gorgeous interesting neighborhoods. 

Below are a few pictures from my East Harlem stroll along with a link to a photo album I created from my walk.





Please become a follower of "Stoops to Nuts" if you enjoy my work.










No comments: