Thursday, January 12, 2012

The New York Times Published My Indoor Tackle Story

The New York Times published my story "When The Fire Hydrant Was The End Zone."

In 1962, the New York football Giants played fourteen games each season. Seven games at home and seven games away.  Away games were televised.  Twenty one hours of heaven.  The League blacked out home games to discourage a drop in ticket sales.  “Huh?”

This remains the most diabolical punishment ever devised to torment me.  It still floors me knowing they went through with this plan after weighing its impact on me.

I saw the conference room full of cigar smoke and National Football League officials.  The lead official turned towards the league’s medical expert standing at the head of the board room.

The Lead Official said, “Doctor, we are considering blacking out NFL home games under our new TV contract.  How will this impact Tommy Pryor?”

The League’s Medical Expert aimed a pointer at a chart.  He said, “It is my expert   opinion that blacking out home games will stop young Tommy’s heart.  Despite his parents overwhelming grief, he will be gone.”

To offset my pain I played indoor tackle in people's living rooms. I targeted latch key kids whose parents both worked. This led to several adventures. Once the jig was up (we got caught) I played tackle football on the east side of York Avenue sidewalk in front of the York Hill Cooperative Apartments between 81st & 82nd Street.

"When The Fire Hydrant Was The End Zone."


2 comments:

Jeanne Egan said...

Great story! And congrats on getting picked up by the NY Times. How do I find out more about the story telling series at Cornelia street??

Thomas Pryor said...

Hi Jeanne, thank you for your kind words. There is info on my home page about the Cornelia Street Cafe show, or you can email me:

tommy.pryor@gmail.com.