Wednesday, November 9, 2011

2011 Best Record ~ Ward White's "Done With the Talking Cure"

Thinking about my favorite records this year, topping my list is Ward White’s “Done With the Talking Cure.” The accomplishment of this record is while listening to it I’m reminded of the Beatles “Revolver,” “Painted From Memory,” the Burt Bacharach & Elvis Costello collaboration and “Lovers Concerto,” the 1965 hit by the Toys that stole neatly from Bach’s Minuet in G Major.
4415
Ward White & Claudia Chopek @ Cornelia St. Cafe
I wish I made other decisions in my life as easily as I decide whether or not I enjoy a record. It happens fast and without doubt. There is not a weak tune on this record and the haunting and cynical lyrics sometimes don’t automatically add up with the timeless high tenor voice singing them.  That contrast works well for me.  The songs arrangements especially the string section reminds me of a George Martin production. They are feisty and sweet and compliment the cadence perfectly giving the entire record a cinematic glow.  I was lucky to hear this record before it was reviewed to form my own opinion. But I thoroughly agree with two comments in two reviews.
The New Yorker said, “"Brooklyn’s Ward White sports a sweet, high tenor whose hints of fragility are just a ploy: when he goes after the dramatic top notes, he nails them... soaring, lyrical pop."  The New York Press said, “Ward White comes across as something of a musical John Cheever.”
4416
“Done With the Talking Cure,” is my favorite 2011 album. Over the next week, I'll tell you which records matched up nicely with Ward's and sit on my top five 2011 list. It was a close call. They are all great.

No comments: