Friday, September 2, 2011

What Was Your First 45 & Last Single?

What Was Your First & Last 45 Single?

3360

My first 45 single was "Witch Doctor," by Dave Seville & the Chipmunks in 1958. Dad had it behind his back when he walked into the bathroom and I was in the tub. He took the record from behind his back and held it up, "Tommy, look what I got for you!" I was so excited I threw my head up and down and chipped my front tooth on the faucet.

The next two records were "Alvin's Harmonica," and "Little Darlin'" by the Diamonds. Mom liked that one, and later Chuck McCann used it in one of his puppet sketches.

3361

Dad had a single of "Bolero." The cover with the dancing senorita knocked me out.

3363

***********************

My next to last single was Springsteen's "Fire." probably in 1989. I wanted the "B" side: a ten minute live version of "Incident on 57th Street. Longest single I ever owned. Don't scratch that one.

3364

My last single was "Missionary Man,” with a cool cover by the Eurythmics.

3367

What was your first single and last 45?

ps my favorite single of all time:

Robert Gordon & Link Wray "Fire."

"190!"

All SJU ruggers get the reference.

3368

4 comments:

onemorefoldedsunset said...

Don't remember the first single, but the first album I bought on my own was The Rock Machine Turns You On (1968), a very decent compilation of Dylan, Cohen, Zombies, Spirit & a whole bunch of others. Helped develop my ten year-old music taste. Last single (I think) was the Adverts' Gary Gilmore's Eyes - after that it was strictly LPs. No, wait, probably Bowie's Ashes to Ashes (1980). I was working in a pub in Newcastle, & played it on the jukebox endlessly. Finally bought it.

Thomas Pryor said...

Thank you, onemorefoldedsunset, for sharing your record memories. Ashes to Ashes a good Lp to close the album door. I'm pretty sure my last Lp was U2 "Joshua Tree." Believe my first was a Four Seasons record in 1964.

onemorefoldedsunset said...

Thanks for the Rock Machine playlist! The Bowie was a single ...don't know what the last album was, but probably Songs for Drella. I really enjoy following your blog - beautiful writing. You have such a great collection of family photographs too.

Thomas Pryor said...

onemorefoldedsunset, your blog is a knockout, your photos are inspirational. Thank you!