Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Tie That Binds






59 years ago today, my parents married at St. Stephen of Hungary in Yorkville. Father Edward J. Holleran the presiding priest stopped the action to give my father a dirty look when he caught Dad whispering to Mom while they were kneeling on the altar and the priest was busy with the Mass duties. The same Father Edward who 12 years later would smack me in the head on the altar during Mass for talking to the other altar boy. Dad and I didn’t bring up Father Edward with each other, but Mom did.

Wedding pictures were taken on the Ryan stoop at 1616 York Avenue, and for the first time ever in either family there were no fist fights at the nupital affair. I received no such report on the after party.

Here's a link to a story that captures the tie that bound my parents.

No comments: