Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Irish Riviera: Rockaway Beach








I’m in denial. I don’t like summer leaving especially with rainy weather pounding it into submission. Out my window, I see kids in yellow macs under umbrellas walking to school but I’m thinking about the Irish Riviera.
My family’s been going to Rockaway Beach for close to 100 years. It started with both sets of grandparents before World War I. The Irish Riviera was the beach of choice for the Yorkville neighborhood. Lots of bathhouses, rough surf, and cheap beer in countless taverns between 98th & 116th Street. A terrific boardwalk, playland and half the neighborhood lived there in the bungalows from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Dads went to work during the week and made like the Life of Reilly on the weekend.

No comments: