Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Last Saturday of Summer ~ Coney Island



Today is the last Saturday of summer. I biked to Coney Island along the seawall. At the beach, I locked my bike to the rail on the boardwalk and chased a flock of birds like I was a dog. Two of the birds looked at me funny as if to say to each other.
.
"He's human?"
"Right."
"What's with the chasing?'"
"I don't know."
.
I wanted two hundred birds to take off at once and roll across the sky like a biblical plague. I didn't have terrific luck, and I know there will be payback, birds always get even.
.
End of summer always makes me wistful. Good things end, like swimming, sunlight deep into the evening, roof parties and picking out clothes to wear in ten seconds. Summer's three months long, but it never completely satisfies and always leaves me wanting more, and the thing that keeps despair at bay is I know it's coming back next year as long as I don't kick the bucket. Two songs on my mind, one reminds me of the beach and fall's approach, and the other reminds me of a summer night's incredible possibilities.
.
Lonely Ol' Night ~ John Mellencamp
(heads up, unavoidable commercial prior to the song playing)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQMkRzWT8mo&ob=av2e
.
.
****************************
.
.
This week on "Yorkville: Stoops to Nuts" radio ~ My special guest is Robin Hirsch, co-founder of the Cornelia Street Cafe in 1977. He is the Minister of Culture, Wine Czar, and Dean of Faculty. With the magnificent aid of Angelo Verga and other superb curators, Robin produces 700 cultural events a year; and finds time to perform and write (Last Dance at the Hotel Kempinski, MOSAIC: Fragments of a Jewish Life, FEG: Stupid Poems for Intelligent Children). This week Yorkville radio presents: The History of the Cornelia Street Cafe ~ A West Village neighborhood institution for 33 years.




































No comments: